BMW Cold Air Intake
Now every BMW aficionado may acquire their sedan's full power potential simply by fitting the BMW cold air intake. The BMW cold air intake not only perks up the gas mileage but also brings more horsepower and torque by feeding a blast of fresh oxygen forcibly in the engine. The BMW cold air intake pushes the engine to gulp down its combustion air beneath the hood either by a restrictive airbox or stock paper air filters. BMW cold air intakes transmit cool air through a free-flowing air filter and intake passages at higher velocities to the throttle body.
If you really possess a good memory then you may recollect the high-school science which explains the working of an IC engine. Only cold air is used in the combustion process as it is much denser than the warmer air. The cooler and denser air is used to condense the fuel mixture which is supposed to be ignited for the power production.
BMW cold air intakes can be made up of either a plastic, metal, rubber/silicone or composite materials like fiberglass, carbon fiber or Kevlar. A wide array of BMW Cold air intake in eye tempting colors and styles, including chrome is available in the market.
- Cooler & Denser air brought into the engine helps in the generation of some extra horsepower.
- It helps your sedan to go low on gas consumption.
- It delivers more output power than the stock air box or short ram intake system.
- It is an expensive device.
- Though its installation won't require an expert but still it is a tough task and may take few hours to complete it.
- You may face problems while replacing filter in case your sedan is equipped with Pontiac cold air intake.
- Hydro lock may happen if in case by mistakenly water got a chance to enter the intake tube. It may prove fatal to your BMW engine so in order to avoid the hydro lock situation you may choose to fit an air bypass valve/ a hydro shield/ a bypass filter.
- In case you may perceive sounds of air escaping or like a stammering noise then it indicates that there are leakages in the intake tube.
- In winters the air intake system may allow the formation of ice inside the intake tube.
- In case the intake system rests nearby the engine then it may produce a loud and harsh noise even though the engine is functioning.
Apart from this, there are many other factors which affect the overall performance of your sedan like better gas mileage, good throttle response and added horsepower.
Each and every air intakes are dyno proven and tested to achieve the maximum power limit and marking at least 10% increase in power. BMW cold air intake kits are virtually made for every BMW models like BMW 3 Series, BMW 5 Series, BMW 6 Series, BMW 8 Series, BMW Bavaria…… do not require any expert for the installation.