Now everycar buff may unleash their Pontiac's full power potential mere by installing the Pontiac cold air intake system. Apart from improving gas mileage, Pontiac cold air intake delivers more horsepower & torque by force-feeding a blast of fresh oxygen in the engine. Each and every Pontiac cold air intakes are dyno proven and tested to achieve the maximum power limit and marking at least 10% increase in power. Pontiac cold air intake forces the engine to devour its combustion air beneath the hood either by a restrictive airbox or stock paper air filters. Pontiac Cold air intakes route cool air in greater quantities through a free-flowing air filter and smooth intake passages at higher velocities to the throttle body.
The Pontiac cold air intake of 80s were made of molded plastic intake tubes and a conical, cotton gauze air filter. For a better degree of performance, the Pontiac cold air intake of late 90s were metal tube designed. After metal piping, it was Carbon fiber's chance to prove itself. Soon Carbon fiber became the favorite due to its reduced weight and improved aesthetics. Few Pontiac cold air intakes are using heat shield to separate the air filter from the engine's heat and exhaust, to provide cold air either from the front or side of the engine bay.
No matter which Pontiac cold air intake you select, its the final output which counts. Various Pontiac cars had showed a drastic change in the overall performance when equipped with Pontiac cold air intake. For example, Pontiac Vibe 1.8 GT engine is transformed from a peppy engine into a real street performer, Pontiac Grand Am is also transformed into a road rocket, the retired Pontiac Firebird is sidelined for 5.7L V8 Trans Am or Formula racer etc.
Few major brands crafting Pontiac cold air intake are K&N Intake, AEM Cold Air Intake, Injen, Volant Air Intake etc are some of the most noteworthy intakes for the at-home mechanic. To spice up the look of your engine Pontiac cold air intakes are available in different flashy colors like red, blue, silver and polished metal. Pontiac cold air intake system is a bit more inclusive to install and it may require the disassembly of the entire front end of the Pontiac or removal of wheels or cutting of fender linings.
Advantages of installing Pontiac cold air intake:
- Denser and Cooler air brought into the engine generates some extra horsepower.
- An efficiently working engine consumes less gas and that is why the Pontiac cold air intake helps your Pontiac to go low on gas consumption.
- Delivers more power output over the stock air box or short ram intake system.
Disadvantages of Pontiac cold air intake:
- Pontiac cold air intake is an expensive device.
- Its installation is a tough task and may take few hours to complete it.
- Replacement of filter is not easy if your Pontiac is equipped with Pontiac cold air intake.
- If by mistake water got a chance to enter the intake it may prove fatal to your Pontiac's engine. To avoid the hydro lock situation one can opt to fit air bypass valve.
- Pontiac cold air intake may be noisy at some point of time for number of reasons.
- In order to avoid repair of Pontiac cold air intake, you must check its warranty so that it can be replaced easily without blowing your pocket.
- Always remember to disconnect the battery before repairing the intake system.
- Start repairing the intake system only when it is cold to the touch.
Freak out on Pontiac cold air intake as you carve multiple gains from possessing an explicit engineered and good-looking device.