A clutch is a mechanism for carrying rotation which can be engaged or disengaged. Clutch connects two shafts so they can either be locked and move at the same time (engaged) or can be disconnected and spin at different speeds (disengaged). Toyota Clutches are different for their SUV's, cars, trucks and hybrid. They are used in all the models like Toyota Camry, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Prius. There are different designs of vehicle clutch but more are based on one or more friction discs, pressed tightly together or against a flywheel using springs. Clutch material differs in composition depending on whether the clutch is dry or wet. A wet clutch is immersed in cooling lubricant which keeps the surface clean gives smoother performance and longer life; and is not the case with dry clutch.
In a car it is operated by left most pedal using hydraulics or cable connection from pedal to clutch mechanism. No pressure on pedal means that clutch plates are engaged (driving), while depressing the pedal will disengage the clutch plates, allowing driver to shift the gear. The hidden Part of clutch includes clutch plate which is 8"-10" diameter with friction material on both the faces and spline to the gearbox input shaft. Clutch works as a result of friction between clutch plate and flywheel. In car clutch plate gets connected to manual transmission while a flywheel gets connected to engine. When your foot is off the pedal spring push the pressure plate; this locks the engine to the transmission input shaft, causing them to spin at the same time. The amount of force clutch holds depend on the friction between flywheel and clutch plate and force put by the spring on the pressure plate.
Clutches are of two types:
- Manual Transmission Clutch: It requires driver to change the gear by depressing the pedal and to use a stick shift.
- Automatic Transmissions: In this all the shifting work is done automatic by the use of clutches, torque converters and set of planetary gears.
Problems with clutches:
- The most common problem is of friction material that that wears out on the disc. It leads clutch to slip as a result it do not transmit power from engine to wheel. One way to check is to test-drive the vehicle and obstruct the engine at slow speed by putting gear on maximum if engine rushes you definitely have the problem.
- There are problems when clutch start to stick. If clutch does not release properly it starts to stick which can lead to grinding or completely prevent the car from going into gear. This can happen due to various reasons:
- Broken or stretched clutch cable
- Leaky master clutch cylinders
- Air in hydraulic line
- Misadjusted linkage
- Hard clutch pedal
Why Clutch Fail?
Before replacing the clutch it is better to have a look at the old parts of clutch. If you find oil soaked clutch then before replacing the clutch it is better to find the cause of leakage and get it repaired. If fingers on diaphragm clutch show heavy wear and tear then it may be because of wrong installation of release bearing.
If the touch on a diaphragm clutch seems to be worn unevenly, it means the clutch is deformed when it was installed because cover bolts were not tightened equally when they were bolted to flywheel.
Squeals and growls can be caused by seized bearings. Chirping noises are caused by vibration in the clutch actuator mechanism can cause chirping noises. To find out reason for noise, set the parking brake, place the vehicle in neutral and start the engine by setting the parking brake, and placing the vehicle in neutral. If Squealing noises are heard when the clutch is working it is caused by the transmission input shaft bearing.
A growling sound occurs when the clutch pedal is depressed which is caused by pilot bearing.
A chirping noise that deepens when the pedal is slowly depressed indicates bad release bearing.
Whenever the clutch does not work get them repaired for a genuine Toyota clutch. It is always recommended to install parts as per model and year of your Toyota Vehicle. It gives you good performance, fitness to vehicle and improves the overall quality of your vehicle.