Toyota Exhaust Manifold
Have you ever thought about the role of an exhaust manifold is in the exhaust system of your top performing Toyota model? Let's try to realize its importance, diagnose its problem, and find a solution either by repairing or replacing it.
Significance of a Toyota Exhaust Manifold
An exhaust manifold is the part of an engine which collects the gases and fumes from various exhausts port of cylinders and en route them to catalysts and mufflers through a single pipe called collector. Different cylinders fire at different times and leaves exhaust gases accordingly. However, the pressure wave of exhaust gases emerging from any one cylinder may not be completely vacated before the arrival of another one, creating a back pressure which may further hinders the engine's true performance possibilities. Toyota exhaust manifold aims to decrease back pressure, and an increase in the volumetric efficiency of an engine which results into a desirable increase in power output. Almost every Toyota models like Toyota Camry, Toyota Prius, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Tundra etc are well equipped with exhaust manifold.
Due to high temperatures, the exhaust manifold is supposed to be heavy duty, hence is constructed of cast iron or stainless steel units. Now-a-days, exhaust manifold with thicker castings are preferred to improve strength and resist cracking. Earlier thinner castings were used for one-n-only purpose that is to lessen the weight.
Issues with your Toyota Exhaust Manifold
- The exhaust manifold is crafted in a metal saving design so that it may accommodate in less space and hence is cost effective. In the long run of a motor-life, such designs of exhaust manifold proved to be inefficient because it restricts passage of flue gases and fumes. Now-a-days exhaust manifold is designed by giving priority to the optimal flow of the exhaust gases rather than their weight or cost.
- During the entire working phase of an engine, a lot of shear stress is produced due to the thermal expansion and contraction which may result into a small leak and is gonna be a bigger one sooner or later. Such leak may easily allow Carbon Monoxide (CO) to move into the passenger's compartment.
Things you should do for your Toyota Exhaust Manifold
- Cracks in a Toyota exhaust manifold can be repaired mere by welding with a silver solder or by an oxy-acetylene torch.
- Visual inspection of leak or any clogged particles in your Toyota exhaust manifold is a must for a good performance and well being of air dependent beings.
- Every Toyota owner must check their beauty beast for the status and capacity of the Toyota Exhaust Manifold.
- You must not forget to check and tighten each and every bolts or fasteners from centre to outer area, only to avoid damage in the exhaust manifold.
- You must inspect the entire exhaust mechanism and its components at a regular interval of time to ensure the safety of your TOYOTA.
- Though periodical test of exhaust manifold is needed still if any kind of suspicion arises you must immediately rush to a mechanic to check leaks.
- Try to avoid replacement of Toyota Exhaust Manifold, rather go for repairing it for any kinda damage because its replacement is very costly and its repair is cost effective.